From the time they are born, your grandchildren become a special part of your life. Whether you live close by or far away, the love you have for them is near and dear. You can be there for them and take part in an important role – saving for their future education. Even though your grandchildren may not attend school for many years, the best time to get started is right now.
With a SMART529 account:
- You maintain control of the account, regardless of the beneficiary’s age.
- You can name a successor account owner
- You don’t have to be a WV resident: Either you or the beneficiary are a WV resident
- You receive any potential tax benefits: including state tax deduction, or an estate-related benefit
Learn more about estate planning>
- Anyone can make contributions to the account
- Withdrawals for qualified higher education expenses1 are free from federal income tax, as well as West Virginia personal income tax.2
- Our Automatic Investment Program can make saving easier
Consultant available to explain SMART529 benefits, assist with account opening
We are happy to provide you with a SMART529 Consultant who can walk you through the SMART529 WV Direct application process, virtually or in-person. There is no cost for this service, and Mr. J.E. Otte, our West Virginia-based Consultant, can meet at a time and date that is convenient for you. Please send your name and contact information, along with the best time to reach you, to email@example.com, and our consultant will contact you shortly thereafter.
Need Professional Advice?
SMART529 WV Direct is available on a direct basis to any West Virginia resident, and you can open an account online here. However, if you feel like you need further assistance, you can contact your local tax, legal, accounting, or financial professional to discuss other options. If you would like information on The Hartford SMART529 plan, which is available exclusively through financial professionals, please click on the button below.